[asterisk-users] DS3 capacity calls using asterisk

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Oct 15 15:12:58 CDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, das sandesh wrote:

> We are trying to implement a DS3 capacity calls (672 concurrent calls)
> using asterisk server. I wanted to ask are there any compatible DS3
> cards with asterisk? I tried searching a lot but could find DS3000P from
> digium but unable to get this product. Does anybody have any idea of
> having any DS3 card in asterisk box so as to handle around 600 calls?

672 eggs in 1 basket doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

It's a bit out of my league (300 is my biggest installation so far), but
I'd suspect dedicated hardware like something from Cisco or a used Ascend
TNT to take the DS3 in 1 side and spit SIP over Ethernet out the other
would be a good starting point.

Send the SIP calls out to a couple of OpenSER/OpenSIPS/Kamailio servers
talking to several (like 4+) Asterisk servers.

This way you can take individual servers out of production without
disrupting everything at once.

My "300 concurrent call" project was taking SIP calls from a Tekalec 7000
talking to 4 hosts. Each host ran OpenSER on port 5060 and Asterisk on
port 5061. The client loved the flexibility.

--
Thanks in advance,