[asterisk-users] FXS to SIP gateway

Jonathan Thurman jthurman42 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:02:38 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM, jonas kellens
<jonas.kellens at telenet.be> wrote:
> Hello list !
>
> I don't have the money to test out all the products and reading the manuals
> is not always that enlightening...
>
> Does someone here know a good gateway-product that lets analogue telephones
> communicate with an Asterisk-server.
>
> I have found the Grandstream GXW-400x to be able to add SIP-accounts to
> analogue telephone devices that are connected to the FXS-ports. Moreover
> this product has a backup-PSTN line for emergency calls and backup.
>
> Could you advice other products/manufacturers ?

We have used Cisco 2800 series routers with voice cards that work fine
for PRI, but don't implement SIP the way they should.  Analog was not
so great.  We also tried to convert some Cisco VG-224s to SIP with
limited success.  I don't recommend using either of those (plus they
are expensive...)

Grandstream (GXW-4024) had major issues with Fax, so we only use them
for connecting for voice only applications.  They seem to work well
with Asterisk, and are easy to configure.  Don't count on fax working
at all though, or even worse working in some cases...

AudioCodes is where we finally found a product that does what we need.
 They are about twice as much as a Grandstream (at least for the
MP-124 vs GXW-4024) but have been rock solid for faxing so far.  They
also come in multiple configurations which is handy.  We use the
MP-114 2FXS/2FXO device at our remote sites for local PSTN access and
to connect a fax machine.  They also support survivability (proxy
registration) in case of WAN failure.  The complaints that I have are
that the web interface has A LOT going on, and there is no real CLI to
speak of.  Neither of these are real issues, just takes you a few more
minutes up front to read the manual.

I haven't tried any Adtran devices but have thought about purchasing
one to test with if I ever get the time.

-Jonathan