[asterisk-users] Best Firewall Suggestions?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:42:16 CDT 2009

BlankI think one of the very best options is pfSense.  Free Open-source, but it's BSD based, rather than LINUX based.  As such it has a lower risk of external exploits.  The user-interface makes it incredibly simple to set up and maintain.  There is an embedded versions of it available to run on affordable/reliable solid-state, diskless, fanless Soekris/PCEngines embedded system boards.

It's incredibly powerful, and It's ROCK SOLID. I find the traffic shaping engine to work without a hitch.  PFSense can do anything you want including VPN (PPTP, IPSec, OpenVPN), failover (Multi-WAN), IDS/IPS (snort)

The NEWEST embedded version 1.2.3 rc3 (1.2.3-release is very close) can run the sipproxd package as well as many other packages that previously required the FULL version.  Goodbye one-way audio! :-)

-Karl