[asterisk-users] Best Firewall Suggestions?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Oct 13 13:22:49 CDT 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, David Wathen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My customer has a outdated firewall that is also presenting a NAT nightmare
> for getting the Asterisk server reachable from the internet.
>
> What firewalls work good with VOIP? I really want to steer away from any ALG
> supported firewall. I just want a good firewall that works well with
> Asterisk.

I use Draytek Vigor 2820's these days. Mostly (when not having something
more "corporate" or dealing with geeks who want a Linux based one) Built
in hardware assist VPN too. They do have a SIP ALG, but it's turned off by
default (the earlier ones had it turned on) Port forwarding works as you'd
expect it to, and the traffic shaping is better than no traffic shaping.

Gordon