[asterisk-users] SPRINTF option : format %1$s not supported

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Mon Oct 12 10:32:00 CDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With 1.6.1.7-rc2, doc says:
> select*CLI>
>   -= Info about function 'SPRINTF' =-
>
> [Syntax]
> SPRINTF(<format>,<arg1>[,...<argN>])
>
> [Synopsis]
> Format a variable according to a format string
>
> [Description]
> Parses the format string specified and returns a string matching that
> format.
> Supports most options supported by sprintf(3).  Returns a shortened string
> if
> a format specifier is not recognized.
>

> I'm trying use sprintf option allowing to swap argument display according
> format string.
> More precisely, I'm trying to this "%1$s" specifier (which means "use 1st
> argument").
> Then, the reply is :
> ERROR[3185]: func_strings.c:547 acf_sprintf: Format type not supported:
> '%1$' with argument '1234'
>
> Though the message is clear, before giving up, I thought I should ask here
> if someone could successfully use the
> "%1$s" specifier (which is very useful when you want to localize some
> messages or output some command strings).

My initial (imho) impression is that  localizations in the code, are in
general a bad way to approach
localization in general. The localizations should be located neither in
Asterisk code nor in dialplan code.

I know, I know, that such code already exists, but that's still not making
my assertion false...

murf

--
Steve Murphy