[asterisk-users] Call Recording and Posting

Ivan Stepaniuk ivan at albafotonica.com
Mon Oct 12 06:44:27 CDT 2009

Dan Journo wrote:
> I'm working on a call recording solution. I would like recordings to
> either be automatically uploaded via FTP, or posted to a URL for
> processing by our main server.
> Is Asterisk capable of doing this or will I have to create a separate
> application that monitors a temp directory for new recordings?

As said by others, there is no such built-in capability
> I ask because I don't have any experience in Linux programming, so I
> won't be able to create a monitoring program on my own.

It is really important for you that the recordings are available asap on
your FTP destination? I had a similar task and I found problematic to
upload the files from inside the dialplan, Is not that it can't be done,
but if the FTP is slow and your number of connections limited, you may
run into a problem with simultaneous calls ending and asterisk trying to
upload 20 files at the same time.

In my case the files could be uploaded every hour, so I made a simple
bash script that uploads the new files to the FTP using 'curlftpfs', a
nice command that mounts the remote FTP on a local mount point using
FUSE, then the script just moves the files from the local folder to the
FTP, and voila. Asterisk just takes care of moving recordings that ended
to the desired path. I can post the bash script if you are interested.

--
Iván Stepaniuk
Alba Fotónica S. L.