[asterisk-users] Mp3 for IVR prompts

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat Oct 10 09:29:41 CDT 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, gergis.rasmy wrote:

> can i use MP3 files as an IVR prompts directly without converting to
> .gsm format?

You don't want to do this.

Asterisk will attempt to use prompts encoded with the same codec being
used for the channel. So, unless you have a channel that is using MP3,
Asterisk would have to transcode the prompt every time it is used. Why
would you want to "burn" CPU cycles for this useless activity?

You should strive to have prompts available in all the channel encodings
actually used by your system. I have systems that only use ULAW, so all of
my prompts are encoded as ULAW. (Sometimes I "cheat" and use WAV files
since they are easier to work with and transcoding from WAV to ULAW is
"cheap.")

--
Thanks in advance,