[asterisk-users] G.729 and Voicemail

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Oct 9 08:29:39 CDT 2009

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> While we're on the subject of G.729...
>
> I can end to end use it with no transcoding, but voicemail is the main
> sticking point for me - I'd need to transcode.
>
> So why can't voicemail store the audio in the format it's being streamed
> in on?

Why do you think it can't? It most certainly can, but only if that's the
only format you will get connections in... if all your calls are G.729,
just configure voicemail.conf to store in g729 format. If your calls are
in a mixture of formats, then you'll have to use transcoding, but that's
unavoidable (if the voicemail was left via a G.729 call and stored that
way, but then later someone wants to listen to it using a G.711 call,
then it will still have to be transcoded).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com