[asterisk-users] Best QoS for Linux

RSCL Mumbai rscl.mumbai at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 02:41:37 CDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM, John A. Sullivan III <
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 16:07 -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> > More specifically....I'm looking for a Linux package to allow shaping,
> > QoS, prioritization by port, etc.
> <snip>
> >

> > Spinning off from another topic...what are people using for QoS /
> > Shaping?
> >
> > I'm using Wondershaper script with OK results...but I'd like better.
> > Ideas?
> > _<snip>
> I would imagine that tc, iproute2, and iptables are your friends.  In
> our case, we try to keep things as simple as possible in a fairly
> complex environment.  Thus, whenever we can, we try to set our DSCP/ToS
> bits in a way that will be handled properly by the default Linux
> queueing mechanism.
>
> I'm afraid I'm up to my eyeballs in a project right now but I have
> posted some of our work in earlier posts on this mailing list.  In the
> case of Asterisk, we use b0 instead of b8 (expedited forwarding) for RTP
> traffic because it works better with the default pfifo_fast packet
> scheduler.  We've also ensured the packet handling is consistent from
> end to end as much as possible.  Even though we are using the Internet
> as a transport medium, we're very happy so far with the quality of the
> calls.  See the previous posts for more details.  Hope this helps - John
> --
> John A. Sullivan III

We were thinking on similar lines a while back and decide to implement
Packet Prioritization.
VoIP packets to have highest priority as compared to all other packets.
I believe tc, iproute2, and iptables was to be used; thou I am not very
sure.

Due to lack of time, we could not do this, but its still on my ToDo list.

hth,
Sanjay