[asterisk-users] Suggestions for low level RTP stream generator?

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:31:19 CDT 2009

Hi,
I need to build a simple, command-line method to generate a legal and
"perfect" RTP stream across a network link, and analyse it on the other side
and measure network performance.  Want to do this for a number of links and
over long periods.  I'm trying to characterise performance of various
available Internet links locally as input into a design project.

Asterisk isn't ideal for me because I just want a one-way stream and in the
case of things like Echo, Milliwatt, MusicOnHold etc the generated RTP
stream is "synchronised" to the incoming RTP and so issues in the one
direction affect the other.  And I'm just looking for a lean-and-mean
command line program!

rtptools from Columbia seems to be almost what I want, except that for
rtpsend I have to specify the desired RTP stream in more detail than I want.
 (I just want to generate a valid stream containing say "silence")

I also looked at rat (from mbone days) - it can generate a "tone test"

Can anyone suggest other old-time utilities that might help me?

Thanks,
Steve