[asterisk-users] What are the reasons for VoIP echo?

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Oct 1 19:57:21 CDT 2009

I'm quite new to all this but I was under the impression that most
electrically induced echo was at the physical interface to the PSTN.  If
one is using SIP trunking, I would think this would point to a carrier
issue.

We also hit an interesting problem with echo today but I don't think
this is the issue Myles is having.  We installed fairly high end phones
with full duplex speakerphones.  Callers are having a bad problem with
echo when the users use the speakerphone.  Because it is full duplex
rather than half, if the speakerphone volume and speakerphone mike
volume are turned up, the callers are indeed hearing themselves by
virtue of the higher quality full duplex!