[asterisk-users] QOS/DSCP for IAX?

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Thu Oct 1 14:48:52 CDT 2009

Yea, kinda, sorta. The DSCP is six bits, which occupy six of the 8 bits
in what is/was the type of service byte in an IP packet. Three of the 6
DSCP bits reside over the old precedence field and three reside over the
old low delay, high throughput and high reliability fields (those three
often referred to as TOS). The DSCP code points are designed to be
backwards compatible with the PRECEDENCE portion of the old tos. The low
delay, high throughput and high reliability bits have been redefined and
no longer are backwards compatible. When doing my research I found some
web sites displayed the tos byte in different bit-orders (cisco with
precedence first, wikipedia with precedence last). It was confusing as heck.

I also have some old equipment that does not understand DSCP/Diffserv.
What I ended up doing was making asterisk and phones use the dscp code
points and my old router software queue packets based on what it sees in
the precedence field. Works like a charm.

Good luck.

-Dave