[asterisk-users] QOS/DSCP for IAX?

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Thu Oct 1 14:01:21 CDT 2009

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I actually see the TOS setting in iax.conf, but the default (commented out)
> is EF - which doesn't even match a valid bit combination according to
> voip-info wiki
>
> If this is the right place, what TOS value are people using succesfully over
> an ADSL connection?
>
>   _____

Yes the tos setting is the right place and EF is an acceptable value. EF
is the differentiated services code point (or dscp) for expedited
forwarding. The sample sip.conf defaults tos_audio to EF as well. The
iax.conf wiki page only shows the old type of service values which are
considered deprecated. Look at this page for more info on diffserv:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DiffServ

As for what to use, well, that depends on whether your upstream provider
even honors what you set. They may use the old type of service values,
they may use dscp or they may ignore what you put there entirely.

-Dave