[asterisk-users] Asterisk and XMPP Jingle : testers needed

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:25:17 CST 2009

Dear community members,

I'm happy to announce that we now have code that allows you to use
your XMPP (Jabber) client like a softphone to place SIP or PSTN (or
whatever channel Asterisk supports) calls.

The XMPP clients that support Jingle that I and others have tested are :
- Pidgin (Linux, Ubuntu 9.10), version 2.6.2 : OK
- Empathy (Linux, Ubuntu 9.10), version 2.28.1.1 : OK
- Psi (Windows XP), version 0.13 : Call establishes, but no sound
(seems to be a problem with Speex)

For the moment, one can only place calls from the XMPP client to
Asterisk, but soon, you'll be able to receive calls on your XMPP
client too.

Please test the following branch :
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/phsultan/jingle-support
Or visit this ticket : https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15634

The doc/jabber.txt in the code contains code snippets and
configuration examples. Hereafter is an example of how to place a call
to an Asterisk server through the Jingle channel. The user places a
Jingle call to Asterisk from his XMPP client's UI, which triggers a
chat message being sent back to him, asking him to enter a number to
call. And that's it, Asterisk just relays the call to the configured
destination (here, a registered SIP phone).

context jingle-in {
        s => {
          Answer();
          SendText(Please enter the number you wish to call);
          Set(NEWEXTEN=${JABBER_RECEIVE(asterisk-xmpp,${CALLERID(name)})});
          SendText(Calling ${NEWEXTEN} ...);
          Dial(SIP/${NEWEXTEN);
          Hangup();
        }