[asterisk-users] VoiceMail greetings

Jonathan Thurman jthurman42 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 21:41:25 CST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM, matthieu Nicaise
<technique at thinkrosystem.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm using Asterisk ( 1.6.1.9 ) Voicemail.
> For example, if i call extension *11 which is not registered, from extension
> *12, i have no greetings at all, i only have the "please leave a message
> after the beep".
> I tried to record the busy, unavailable and temporary greetings for
> extension *11 using VoiveMailMain and the file are well created on the file
> system.
> I cannot understand why those files are not played.
> If i use VoiceMail(*11) in the extension.conf i have exactly the same
> behaviour.
> If i user VoiceMail(*11,b) the busy message is read.
> Is that a normal behaviour ?
> I can't understand why Asterisk is not using the Dial status automaticaly.
> Thank you for your help !

The default option for voicemail is to play only the instructions.
Take a look at http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+VoiceMail
for more details on the options. You will have to parse the Dial
status in the dialplan, and pass 'u' for unavailable message to be
played.  You can see one way to parse the dial status in the sample
extensions.conf file under the stdexten subroutine.

There are lots of reasons to let the admin decide which greeting to
play.  For example, my canned 'receptionist' context plays the busy
greeting as the after-hours greeting, otherwise playing the
unavailable greeting.

-Jonathan