[asterisk-users] Which IP Phone and the codecs

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sat Nov 28 15:00:43 CST 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:50:15 -0800 (PST), bilal ghayyad wrote:

>Hello All;
>
>Anyone can advise for the good phone (Polycom, Linksys, ... etc) that is a stable and support the codecs: g723, g729, and speex?
>
>Actually I would like to have the speex codec because it have the ability to compress to very high compression so we can work with the low bandwidth (for speed about 3 or 4 kbps).
>
>I tried Grandstream but really it is a bad device and not worthy to buy it or deal with it. The one I got was having a problem in its handset (there is a noise sound), also it capabilities are very weak.
>
>Any one can advise for a good phone? What about Linksys? Does it support speex codec?

You're going to some some trouble finding speex support in hard phones.
Few support it. None from major manufacturers that I'm aware of. You
will find G.729 support in just abotu every phone, and G.723 in many as
well.

I reality G.729 is the industry standard low bit rate codec. 8 kbps is
pretty low, and it's MOS rating is good.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com