[asterisk-users] Please some enlightment on ENUM !!

Norbert Zawodsky norbert at zawodsky.at
Wed Nov 25 17:23:43 CST 2009

> But then you create phonenumbers in enum, which doesn't exist as
> pstn-numbers.
>
> Not the idea behind enum.
>
> On the other hand, if you owned 10 or 100 pstn-numbers in series, you
> could get the last one or two digits delegated to your dns-server.
>
> Leif

Why do I create numbers in enum which doesn't exist as pstn ?

A simple example:

My "pstn number" is +43-1-1234567. Everybody around the world can call
me using this number.
Lets say, I have 3 extensions: 0=reception, 10=secretary, 20=boss.

If someone calls

ENUMLOOKUP(+4311234567) he will get a uri "sip:0 at ip.of.my.asterisk"
ENUMLOOKUP(+43112345670) he will get a uri "sip:0 at ip.of.my.asterisk"
ENUMLOOKUP(+431123456710) he will get a uri "sip:sec at ip.of.my.asterisk"
or "sip:10 at ip.of.my.asterisk" (which ever you prefer)
ENUMLOOKUP(+431123456720) he will get a uri "sip:boss at ip.of.my.asterisk"
or "sip:20 at ip.of.my.asterisk"

All this numbers exist because they connect to different persons. Why
shouldn't that be the idea behind enum?

Norbert