[asterisk-users] hardware echo cancellation

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:52:10 CST 2009

> If I get an echo cancellation module for my Digium TE121 card, will I need
> to do any adjustments/configuration in Asterisk?

You should probably still set the gain using rxgain and txgain.  IME,
it's much easier setting gains on a PRI than it is on a POTS line,
though.  I've worked with a couple of PRIs that need no adjustments at
all.

> Is the hardware better
> than the software version?

The hardware version is the same algorithm as the HPEC echo canceler.
It's quite a bit better than the MG2 algorithm that comes free with
asterisk and maybe slightly better than OSLEC.  The convergence time
of the hardware algorithm is pretty fast (time it takes for the EC to
effectively get rid of echo on a call).

FYI: If you're considering running the software-based HPEC for all
channels on a T1/E1, you should use a reasonably fast machine, as it
uses quite a bit of CPU.  That's one big reason to get the hardware
module.

- Noah