[asterisk-users] Security Against brute force attack

Rasmus Männa asterisk at razu.pri.ee
Wed Nov 18 17:46:13 CST 2009

Hi All,

I must say that there are many ways to detect password attack cause this
information actually goes into logs and it's possible to analyze them.
Couple of hours thinking + day or 2 creating gives a really nice result.
Bad thing is that by the time someone will start guessing password with
dictionary attack or brute force (it doesn't matter) he already knows
what is the account name/ID.

All this leads me to question which is (from my point of view) a bit
more important. Is there any way to detect SIP/IAX account guessing
without actually dumping UDP flow ? I tried some _hacking_ tools and
these create only some logs in debug mode. Using debug is not always an
option cause in some cases it creates ~5MB log in a minute - such flow
is quite impossible to handle.

Does anyone have any experience catching account guessing attempts
automatically ? Any kind of ideas would be wonderful :)

thx a lot,
--
razu