[asterisk-users] Cisco 7971 behind NAT

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Tue Nov 17 00:02:20 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Luki <lugosoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> Darryl,
>
> OK, that could work but it makes the use of these phones behind
> consumer routers rather impossible. How many of those will inspect and
> transform SIP packets? Oh why does Cisco have to do things differently
> from everyone else...
>
> Luki
>
> 2009/11/16 Darryl Dunkin <ddunkin at netos.net>:
> > You need to enable SIP transformations on the firewall, the packets will
> > have to be dynamically re-written to handle multiple Cisco phones of
> > these models. Be sure 'nat=no' is set in sip.conf for the phones as
> > well, or Asterisk will reply to the incorrect ports (source instead of
> > the mangled contact header).
> >
> > In this case, you'll need to compile in the SIP connection tracking/NAT
> > bits in the kernel, they should be able to mangle the packets
> > appropriately. I have never tested this, as all my deployments have
> > hardware firewalls with SIP support built-in.

I use two accounts on a Cisco 7941 at home that is connected to my asterisk
server running at a datacenter.  My home has NAT, my asterisk server does
not.  I do not need to do any of the packet mangling stuff, just set
"nat=no" in the sip.conf entry for the Cisco phone.  Not sure how much
different the 7971 is though...

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby