[asterisk-users] Pbx-cards

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Mon Nov 16 16:46:03 CST 2009

mattias wrote:
> Do i rely need a pbx-card to use astersik for voicemail-system?
> Or can i only use my internal pci-modem

If you want to connect to an analog phone line, then you will need to use some
sort of hardware to connect it (no, a PCI modem is not possible*) -- this can
either be a PCI card, or simply an analog-to-SIP converter made by various
companies such as Linksys, etc...

Alternatively, you can use a SIP provider, and there are many, to get calls into
and out of your system. For the cost of a piece of hardware, you're likely to
get anywhere from a couple of months to several months of service. Some of which
allow you to use it like a pre-paid phone card, and is around a penny per minute.

[* Yes, you can use a certain PCI modem which contains the appropriate chipset
(not any PCI modem), but the time and money to get such a modem is not worth the
time.]

Leif Madsen.