[asterisk-users] Changing labels on Phones

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Sun Nov 15 19:41:46 CST 2009

Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> We have several types of phones, Cisco 79xx, Aastra 9133i etc. We have a
> "hotdesk" type system where anyone can log on to an extension - however
> what I would love to do is relabel the phone with the current "owner"
> when this logon happens. I know that I can change the sip.conf and
> phones tftp file, however this is a big problem with the Cisco's as they
> take *forever* (ok, maybe 2 / 3 minutes) to reboot (VLAN problem)
>
> 1) Has anyone actually solved this VLAN issue with the cisco ?
> 2) Is there any way of changing a label without rebooting the phone ?

I don't believe these is a way to change the label without rebooting the phone.

However, changing the label is probably not really the right way to go about
this. For example, I have created an Asterisk system for a call centre that uses
hot desking with Polycom phones, and those phones then use the built in web
browser with an auto-refresh rate that contacts a website (internal) that runs a
PHP script that returns the currently logged in person.

This is done via a database and using Asterisk realtime for the registrations so
the information is available to the PHP script. There is likely a similar web
browser in the Cisco and the Aastra that can use this same type of approach.

Leif!