[asterisk-users] Changing labels on Phones

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Sun Nov 15 15:51:15 CST 2009

We have several types of phones, Cisco 79xx, Aastra 9133i etc. We have a
"hotdesk" type system where anyone can log on to an extension - however what
I would love to do is relabel the phone with the current "owner" when this
logon happens. I know that I can change the sip.conf and phones tftp file,
however this is a big problem with the Cisco's as they take *forever* (ok,
maybe 2 / 3 minutes) to reboot (VLAN problem)

1) Has anyone actually solved this VLAN issue with the cisco ?
2) Is there any way of changing a label without rebooting the phone ?

TIA

Julian