[asterisk-users] GSM and Wav format

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 04:44:59 CST 2009

On 2 Nov 2009, at 12:11, ABBAS SHAKEEL wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Let me explain a scenario
>
> There are different Asterisk Servers at different Remote locations.
> Recording in different formats for FIVE seconds reveals that
>
> Format : Size
> wav : 84 KB
> gsm : 8.3 KB
> sln : 84 KB
>
> It can be recorded in any format. This is size for five seconds only. We need to transfer these files from different remote servers to a centralized server.
> We need to play these recorded files on WEB.
>
> We have following options
>
> 1. Record in GSM and send to central Server. Which will convert to it to WAV format using some code / any other thing. The issue in this is that CPU will get very busy in this case. Because GSM Files can be very frequent.
> 2. Recored in Wav and send to central server. In this case we may face Network Bandwidth problem.(Even we create VPN).
>

> QUESTION IS: Is there any other format in which we can record using the record application provided its is small in size and directly playable on WEB.

"Directly playable" is a complex question - what are you assuming your web users have?

Browser only: 		HTML 5 browsers mostly support Oggvobis natively
Browser+quicktime: 	gsm,mp3,wav etc
Browser+flash: 		MP3 (and perhaps speex)
Browser+java: 		Pretty much any format you like....

I wrote (and opensourced) a little java applet that plays .gsm files

see http://www.westhawk.co.uk/software/playGSM/PlayGSM.html

Tim.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk