[asterisk-users] SIP source address error -- fixed

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Fri Nov 13 12:54:27 CST 2009

Quoting Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.to>:

> The question remains: how can a remote Asterisk server be receiving
> SIP packets that still contain the private net IP address of a client?

Okay, I fixed it: by installing siproxd on the firewall system of the
local network. With the Debian systems I'm running, I let iptables
take care of NAT. Last December, with kernel 2.6.24, I didn't need a
SIP proxy to get a SIP client to register with a remote Asterisk
server. Now, with 2.6.26, I do. Conclusion: NAT sucks. If we were all
using IPv6, this would not be an issue.

Jaap