[asterisk-users] asterisk systems hang with "hfcmulti_rx no memory for rx_skb"

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 05:28:49 CST 2009

Hi,

I have two Asterisk systems that hang once every 4-6 days (more or less). One has * 1.2.31.1 and the other 1.4.26.2. The last system collapsed today and I saw several messages looping endlessly on screen:

hfcmulti_rx no memory for rx_skb
alloc_stack_skb(303,110): no skb size

During this time the server is completely down (no ping). A forced reboot is necessary (very ugly situation in production environment as you can imagine).

If "hfcmulti_rx" is the culprit then it should have something to do with "receiving calls via ISDN lines". "no memory" suggests just that but my systems have 4GB RAM each and there aren't so many concurrent calls (max 18 ISDN channels).

Both asterisk systems have a B410P 4-port ISDN card (http://www.digium.com/en/products/digital/b410p.php).

# uname -a
Linux voip1 2.6.23-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Fri Oct 17 01:10:38 CEST 2008 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

misdn 1.1.7.2
misdnuser 1.1.7.2

Has anyone ever witnessed this issue with ISDN cards and Asterisk?

What does Digium recommend for the B410P? (kernel version, misdn version, asterisk version)

In other words, what should I try? (new kernel, new misdn?)

Or should I move to DAHDI? But does DAHDI "fully" support B410P hardware?

Thanks,

Vieri