[asterisk-users] allowguest defaults to yes for SIP

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Thu Nov 12 14:26:49 CST 2009

On 11:16, Thu 12 Nov 09, Lee Howard wrote:
> Danny Nicholas wrote:
> > "Gentlemens clubs" usually don't have any.  While LH probably has a valid
> > point, jumping on Til isn't the way to bring it home.  You can't protect the
> > stupid or lazy from themselves.  If you can't do this right, pay someone
> > else to.
>
> You're suggesting that if I pay someone they'll be able to get the
> default setting for allowguest changed to "no" ?

No, he was saying that if you dont know the system you are going to
setup, and dont have the time/resources to read up on how it works, you
can always hire someone who knows how stuff works.

> I could be wrong, but I don't generally consider myself stupid or
> lazy... and yet this default setting as "yes" took me by surprise,
> obviously.

No-one told you you are stupid or lazy.
It's just that this option only allows unwanted stuff if the
configuration is made to do that.

> So either I am stupid or lazy or there is a risk here that can catch
> even others off-guard.
>
> I've been down this contribution road-path a half-dozen times before
> with Asterisk.  So forgive me if I don't play it out to the final futile
> note.
>
> In ESR's CatB there's the idea where the maintainer encourages (and
> wants) bug reporting, feedback, and other non-code forms of contribution
> (as well as code contributions).  He refers to it as grooming
> co-developers.  That's not how Asterisk development works... here you
> can contribute if you're already in the meritocracy, but if you're not,
> then you have more than a difficult time in trying to even contribute in
> small non-monetary ways.

This is so untrue.
When I started working with asterisk, and found my first issue, I
created a patch, put it on the tracker, followed up on the comments, and
stuff got in. Sometimes it takes some time before the first review of
your patch is happening. This is mainly because the developers are
really busy, and only part of the developers is being paid to do this
stuff for asterisk, all the others are doing it in their free time.

If you read the page about contributing code to asterisk, it clearly
states that the dev mailinglist is the place to discuss development.
If you post comments there, people will read it, comment on it, and if
more people agree with the ideas it will get implemented.

It's how all OpenSource projects work.

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"