[asterisk-users] allowguest defaults to yes for SIP

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Nov 12 13:30:18 CST 2009

Eh... if VoIP fraud weren't so rampant, and I didn't constantly see
mailings to the Asterisk list about "How do I secure my system from the
people who've been costing me tons of money lately," I would say that
having a lax stance on security in exchange for additional usability
might be a good thing.  But as is, that's simply not the case. The
'usability' you get from this is really only questionably essential in
its ability to save time, but the security one would get from a change
could save some people actual money -- not just time.

As someone who used to design systems and networks, I would vote for
security over nebulous desire to keep the status quo.

True, you can't keep stupid people from doing stupid things, but given a
choice between protecting the ignorant from a bad situation or catering
to those who want to avoid an extra step or two on installation, I'd
side with protecting the ignorant every time. There's always a trade-off
between usability and security, and I'm of the opinion that security is
the more important of the two when dealing with systems connected to the
Internet. Call me a cynic. :)

N.