[asterisk-users] allowguest defaults to yes for SIP

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Nov 12 13:16:17 CST 2009

Danny Nicholas wrote:
> "Gentlemens clubs" usually don't have any.  While LH probably has a valid
> point, jumping on Til isn't the way to bring it home.  You can't protect the
> stupid or lazy from themselves.  If you can't do this right, pay someone
> else to.

You're suggesting that if I pay someone they'll be able to get the
default setting for allowguest changed to "no" ?

I could be wrong, but I don't generally consider myself stupid or
lazy... and yet this default setting as "yes" took me by surprise,
obviously.

So either I am stupid or lazy or there is a risk here that can catch
even others off-guard.

I've been down this contribution road-path a half-dozen times before
with Asterisk.  So forgive me if I don't play it out to the final futile
note.

In ESR's CatB there's the idea where the maintainer encourages (and
wants) bug reporting, feedback, and other non-code forms of contribution
(as well as code contributions).  He refers to it as grooming
co-developers.  That's not how Asterisk development works... here you
can contribute if you're already in the meritocracy, but if you're not,
then you have more than a difficult time in trying to even contribute in
small non-monetary ways.

So anyway, I've been down this road a half-dozen times already, and it
ends up being futile, frustrating, and time-consuming.  I'm too busy
today to be interested in playing.

Thanks,

Lee.