[asterisk-users] allowguest defaults to yes for SIP

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Nov 12 07:47:34 CST 2009

In your sip.conf file allowguest defaults to yes.  This means that
anyone that can reach the SIP ports on that system has access to make
unauthenticated calls, by default.  The administrator actually has to go
in and turn it off to prevent unauthenticated SIP calls (in whatever
context [general] points at).

Does anyone else agree with me that this is a poor default?  I'd like to
see the default setting changed.

It seems to me that this default is the reason behind the
doc/security.txt bias against using the "default" context for toll calls.

Thanks,

Lee.