[asterisk-users] Need opinion about GSM codec for Internet

Alejandro Cabrera Obed aco1967 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:13:57 CST 2009

Dear all, I have implemented an Asterisk SIP server for a WAN VPN over
Internet. We have users distributed along all my country (Argentina) that
register to my Asterisk in order to talk among them.

I'll plan to have voice and voicemail with GSM codec, because we can't
afford the payment for the G.729 licenses (it's an administrative problem of
our company, not an echonomical problem). So in this way Asterisk won't care
about codec traslations, this sounds good.

What do you think about the use of GSM codec for Internet calls ??? Do you
think GSM is the best narrow-band codec if I can't use G.729 ???

Thank you !!!

Alejandro