[asterisk-users] SIREN14 call setup and record/playback

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Nov 5 07:23:56 CST 2009

Tom Browning wrote:

> Are there other configuration settings I can adjust to negotiate Siren14
> on outbound calls without hacking chan_sip.c?

We need to see how you are originating the calls; it's up to the
originator to specify the formats that will be allowed for that call. In
spool files, for example, there is a header that can be included to
specify which audio (and video) codecs should be offered on the outgoing
channel.

> I'm hoping I've completely missed something simple.
>
>     Also, you should know that all Siren14 calls are presently
>     downsampled to 16 KHz, so are effectively Siren7.Asterisk doesn't
>     presently support sample rates beyond 16 KHz.
>

> format_siren14.c clearly seems to state support for the 48Kbps 32Khz
> Siren14 flavor and Kevin Flemming's earlier reply to this thread implied
> support for same.

For file recording, playback and passthrough, that is correct. When our
Siren14 codec module is released (hopefully very soon), it will
transcode to/from 16kHz signed linear since, as Michael posted, there is
no support for 32kHz signed linear in Asterisk today.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com