[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6.1.6 crashing

Alejandro Recarey alexrecarey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 05:48:47 CST 2009

Hello all,

I have a pretty much standard installation of an Asterisk 1.6.1.6 with no
PRI cards of any type (full VoIP).

Occasionally (it happens every 2 weeks or so), it just stops running. I was
using safe_asterisk but it seems that safe_asterisk did not restart it. I do
have the core dump file at /tmp/core.myservername-2009-10-20T18:36:20+0200
but it seems it's from an earlier crash. When I read the file, with nano or
tail, it seems like pure gibberish.

Is there any link or tutorial I can read that will help me read / use core
dump files for debugging purposes? This asterisk is under heavy load, it's a
2x Dual core Xeon at 3GHz and its handling around 210 simultaneous calls at
peak hour with no transcoding, mostly SIP, but some SIP to IAX conversion,
and generaly I feel it's performing well.

Do you have any tips on maintenance? Should I restart asterisk every day, or
restart the server?

Thank you for your help,

Alex