[asterisk-users] Core Dump - Asterisk 1.4.24 - Elastix

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Nov 3 01:32:00 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:18:14AM -0300, Fernando Berretta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I've got a core dump from Asterisk, other times I was able to
> discover what this core dump was related with through gdb Ouput info,,
> but this time.. I'm really lost. Could some one please help me
>
> GDB output is at
>
> http://pastebin.com/m603e6a74

When Asterisk is installed from a binary package, you will normally get
binaries without debug symbols to save space. You sypically don't need
the debug information.

However for the cases you do need them, the debug symbols are available
in a separate package (with rpm: the *-debuginfo packages , with debs:
-dbg packages or several similar things).

Debug symbols are not needed at core dumping time. They are only needed
when you try to get something useful from a core dump (e.g. with gdb).
So you can install them after dumping the core. However they must be of
exacatly the same version of the Asterisk package installed on your
system (that dumped the core in the first place).

So basically: just install the package asterisk-debuginfo and try
aagain.

There's also a similar package for glibc for the libc stuff, though this
typically is less useful.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com