[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 and Fax

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:56:13 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Dan Journo <dan at keshercommunications.com> wrote:
> How do these fax2email providers run their service?
>
> Do they all use physical lines rather than use the internet?

If you read far enough back in the archives, you'll find somebody who
claimed they used
asterisk-1.4
(I think hylafax)
and voip

But that they did so in a colo, one-hop and almost no RTT away from
their provider. Again, at which point, you're not saving money
compared to an analogue fax over PSTN unless you have a really large
volume, and even then you can often get better bulk pricing for PSTN.

You know your usage and you know your budget.

If you don't have time to fight broken faxes, learn asterisk-1.6, and
provision a voip provider, just stick with analogue fax over PSTN.

My business situation:
channelized DS3, that's 28x 23 voice channels -> Cisco voice routers
-> SIP -> asterisk-1.6 app_fax()

Working very well for us, but I don't know whether your budget or
usage is going to justify something like that. As for what a
commercial service uses, they use whatever was the cheapest wherever
they host their services.

Real modem pools, or real brooktrout modem boards are common. That
would have been a better idea for my situation if I wasn't sharing the
circuits with other voice services.