[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 and Fax

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:46:11 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Dan Journo <dan at keshercommunications.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Does anyone have an up to date guide for setting up fax 2 email with
> asterisk?

You can buy this shrink-wrapped from Cisco if you're willing to pay what
they're asking. There are probably other vendors who sell that too.

If you insist on doing this yourself, and using asterisk, start by moving to
1.6. The fax support is night and day better in 1.6 than 1.4, using native
asterisk app_fax (which depends on SpanDSP from Lee Howard).

If you want to go SIP as part of the deployment, I recommend either:
1) terminate PSTN at your premise, and only use SIP internally inside your
PSTN gateway
2) if you're going to go with a SIP provider, tunnel them on a dedicated
circuit so you're not fighting bandwidth limit in addition to the various
problems you'll inevitably face with their implementation of fax over voip.

Once you price #2 you'll probably discover that #1 is cheaper, and I've
already said it's more likely to be reliable when you can control as much of
the voip as possible.