[asterisk-users] GSM and Wav format

ABBAS SHAKEEL shakeel.abbas.qau at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 06:11:53 CST 2009

Hello,

Let me explain a scenario

There are different Asterisk Servers at different Remote locations.
Recording in different formats for FIVE seconds reveals that

Format : Size
wav : 84 KB
gsm : 8.3 KB
sln : 84 KB

It can be recorded in any format. This is size for five seconds only. We
need to transfer these files from different remote servers to a centralized
server.
We need to play these recorded files on WEB.

We have following options

1. Record in GSM and send to central Server. Which will convert to it to WAV
format using some code / any other thing. The issue in this is that CPU will
get very busy in this case. Because GSM Files can be very frequent.
2. Recored in Wav and send to central server. In this case we may face
Network Bandwidth problem.(Even we create VPN).

QUESTION IS: Is there any other format in which we can record using the
record application provided its is small in size and directly playable on
WEB.

Best Regards
Shakeel Abbas