[asterisk-users] /etc/asterisk/startup.d

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Sun May 31 07:47:51 CDT 2009

Tzafrir Cohen schrieb:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 04:43:52PM +0200, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
>> Tzafrir Cohen schrieb:
>> >
>> > What would you put there?
>>
>> Scripts to generate Asterisk config files in /etc/asterisk I guess.
>> Or scripts to log warnings to syslog if the configuration is insecure
>> (MySQL does that on Debian).
>
> When exactly should those be run?
>
> E.g.: asterisk -rx 'restart now' does not get them run. Do you want to
> guarantee some script to be run before Asterisk is started?
>
> Should it be run on a reload? On a logger-reload action?

Again, good questions. In order not to make things too complicated
I'd say any scripts in /etc/asterisk/startup.d should be called by
/etc/init.d/asterisk with the argument (action) to /etc/init.d/asterisk
as an argument. If somebody was to circumvent /etc/init.d/asterisk
by calling asterisk -rx ... directly then so be it - no action in
this case.

OTOH it might be a nice thing to build this functionality into
Asterisk itself which could then even call these scripts on
asterisk -rx 'restart now', asterisk -rx 'reload' etc.

However given the lack of much feedback here it seems such a thing
is not useful for many people.

>> Or maybe scripts to open some ports on a firewall. Well, no, there
>> should be stop scripts as well then, so forget about the firewall.
>> OTOH: The scripts could be called with an argument just like init
>> scripts (start|stop|restart|...).
>>
>> I'm not quite sure if that would be a useful thing to have or if
>> such tasks should rather be done by interdependent init scripts, i.e.
>> Required-Start, Required-Stop, Should-Start, Should-Stop headers.
>>
>> > When should it be run?
>>
>> Right before /etc/init.d/asterisk is about to (re?)start asterisk.
>>
>> > As which user?
>>
>> Good question. Obviously either as root because /etc/init.d/asterisk
>> is run by root or as Asterisk's runuser which is likely to be one
>> of root or asterisk. root would buy us more flexibility :-)

    Philipp Kempgen
--
AMOOMA GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer, Handelsregister: Neuwied B14998