[asterisk-users] Maximum cable length for analog phone from FXS port

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue May 26 19:51:17 CDT 2009

Jon Pounder wrote:
> John Novack wrote:
>> If this is an emergency phone situation then I would question the
>> wisdom of even considering using Asterisk.
>> Conventional telephony solutions exist that will easily cover the
>> loop length and provide the reliability that should be required  by
>> risk management in such a situation.
>>
> why are you going on the assumption asterisk is somehow inherently
> less reliable than a "conventional" solution ?

Because it is.
A simple solution is best.
fewer items to fail.
The OP has given no reason to develop a complex solution for what is
presented as a fairly simple problem to provide communications in an
emergency situation over a short loop in conventional telephony
3Km isn't a long loop in the telephone world, though some postings would
incorrectly say otherwise.
> I am not trying to start any sort of war here, but is that based on
> any sort of facts ? hardware wise its basically all the same
> electronics whether they were meant as a general purpose computer or a
> telephony specific computer - they all fail eventually and the MTBF is
> usually related to the relative price in the specific market.
Why do you assume a "telephony specific computer" is even needed?

KISS!

John Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot