[asterisk-users] Maximum cable length for analog phone from FXS port

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue May 26 11:38:30 CDT 2009

You are exactly right.  Cat 5 had no advantage over cheaper wire for voice,
and the length limitations are meaningless.  Consider that Cat 5 is
typically use with signals that extent to 30 MHz or beyond.  A voice grade
analog circuit must go to 4 KHz (1/10,000 as much).  At 4 KHz, the wire
generally doesn't even act like a controlled impedance.

Wilton