[asterisk-users] Maximum cable length for analog phone from FXS port

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Tue May 26 10:50:27 CDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, randulo wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Danny Nicholas <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:
>> I run my analog telco over cat5, but that's in-house and definitely not 3km. That sounds really far for current loop stuff.
>
> I was doing that too. I asked this same question a few years ago and
> the answer was 100-200 meters. This is just a quick rule of thumb, but
> it seems about right. 3km, I doubt that would work, but it depends, as
> someone said, totally depending on ohm's law :)

Egad, this is just not true.  100 - 200 meters is for ETHERNET, not analog
voice.  I have many runs over 1K meters that work just fine, and several
that are close to 3Km that honestly do NOT.  Think about high rise
buildings - many strung with CAT3 cable for voice from the basement.
Many of those runs may be well over 1000m.

A better question is why is he stuck using a 3Km leased circuit?  Like
another poster said "there must be a better way".