[asterisk-users] Maximum cable length for analog phone from FXS port

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue May 26 09:26:19 CDT 2009

That is a pretty long run.
The type of analog phone can be an issue. How LITTLE loop current will
it operate on? Most need more than 20 Ma to signal properly, and the
voltage output of the ATA needs to be known
Type of signaling? DTMF? pulse?
Interconnection cable wire size and capacitance will affect high
frequency response, loop current, inductive pickup and pulse shaping to
name just a few. The ATA requirements need to be known. A total loop
resistance of 500 ohms should work, but go out to 1200 and most will fail
Do you really have control over this or will you be renting a pair from
the local telco?
Protection should be applied on both ends for safety of the user(s) and
devices.
There MUST be a better way???

asterisk-users at rogg.is wrote:

> Hello.
>

> I am looking for details of the maximum allowed/usable/effective
> wire/cable length of the connection from a FXS port of Digium analog
> cards to the analog telephone handset.
>

> To clarify my intention, I need to have an analog telephone connection
> to my asterisk box that is 3000 meters (3km) away at least. If you
> have any details of ATA boxes or other similar devices that I could
> use to do this, I'd appreciate your input. It must be able to use a
> regular analog telephone handset on the far end.
>

> I've searched high and low and either I'm not clever enough in using
> the right terms for this or it is rarely documented?
>

> Any details much appreciated.
>

> Thank you!
>
> Baldvin

Dog is my co-pilot