[asterisk-users] [UK SPECIFIC] DAHDI and a OpenVox Card

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun May 24 13:21:57 CDT 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Mark Phillips wrote:

> I can really only speak to questions 2;
>
> The other 2 pins in your cable are for your second phone line - if you
> have one that is. You should be able to plug in a 4 wire cable into any
> socket in the house and get access to Both lines.

> Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
> Randolph, NJ

It's not done that way in the UK.

BT (via OpenReach) will install a 2nd master socket for a 2nd phone line.

Internally we normally run 3 wires. The 3rd wire carries the ringing
current, isolatesd via a capacitor - also acts as a "tinkle suppressor"
which stops bells tinkling on other phones when you use a phone with a
loop-disconnect dialler.

Here's an example:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

In these enlightened days, it's normal to not use the 3rd wire internally
on extension as it has been known to degrade an ADSL signal.

Gordon