[asterisk-users] [UK SPECIFIC] DAHDI and a OpenVox Card

Tiago Durante tiagodurante at gmail.com
Sat May 23 12:56:04 CDT 2009

Hi Dunc,

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Dunc <dunc at lemonia.org> wrote:
> Tiago Durante wrote:
>> Dunc

>>> Thanks for the link, at the moment my stuff doesn't work properly at all
>>> though, it's not just the caller ID stuff.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing it's down to the cable though now after reading the
>>> each end I need to connect with a 2 wire cable that would be amazing (UK
>>> NTL phone line.) (Bueller, anyone? :-) )
>>>

>>> Once I have incoming calls working then I think I'll be back fixing the
>>> caller ID stuff :)
>>
>> I've some experience with openvox cards, what card are you using?
>>
>> What problems are you having?
>>

>> Cheers,
>>

> Hi Tiago,
>
> I have an OpenVox A400P11, it shows up like this...
>
> eddie ~ # lsdahdi
> ### Span  1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board 5" (MASTER)
>   1 FXS        FXSKS       (EC: MG2)  RED
>   2 FXO        FXOLS       (EC: MG2)
> Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Dahdi/Chans.pm line 221.
>   3 unknown
> Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
> /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Dahdi/Chans.pm line 221.
>   4 unknown
> eddie ~ #
>

> I'm pretty sure that the RED alarm is a bad thing. While googling about
> this error from the asterisk console....
>
> *CLI> [May 23 18:14:02] NOTICE[4469]: chan_dahdi.c:8164
> handle_init_event: Alarm cleared on channel 1
> [May 23 18:14:03] WARNING[4469]: chan_dahdi.c:4664 handle_alarms:
> Detected alarm on channel 1: Red Alarm
>

> I discovered this thread on the mailing list, and so signed up and
> mailed in with the same subject. It didn't link them together though it
> seems, so here's a URL
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg223429.html
>

> If you read this specific post, and the last few before....
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg223523.html

How is your configuration? Please post here.

At first I thought you were using a A1200P, this card (which is very
good) gave some headache some weeks ago, because it wasn't working
properly with dahdi. I didn't have a chance to test it again. It's
because for this card you need a module from Openvox.

The A400P card that they made is a clone of the TDM and should work
fine with DAHDI. For this card you shouldn't need any module from
Openvox.

> it seems that a 2-pin cable from the wall socket to the card is
> required. Now, I was warned about cables and did my best to get the one
> that sounded right, however mine definitely has 4 pins.
>

> So my 2 questions are
>
> 1) What are the pinouts for the 2 pin cable, and I'll make my own for
> now (For bonus points, unless the wires are crossed over, what possible
> difference could it make when the TDM card only has 2 pins anyway?)
>
> 2) Is this the correct cable for NTL too?

This line that you're using, can you use a regular analog phone to
make call through it?

I don't have any server running in UK, only USA and Latin America...
But I'll assume the cabling is the same... If so you should have a
connector like this:

http://img.zdnet.com/techDirectory/RJ11.GIF

Test your line with a regular phone. Make sure it works fine. Also
make sure not to connect the PSTN line on the FXS card, you can 'burn'
your FXS doing that.

> I think I should find out definite answers to the above before I worry
> any further about the card and Asterisk :-)

I agree... =)

> Thanks for getting back to me, hope you can help.

No prob, I hope too!

Cheers!

--
Tiago Durante

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you
get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
-- Newt Gingrich