[asterisk-users] PSTN Connection

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat May 23 10:40:38 CDT 2009

Brent Vrieze wrote:
> Lyle Giese wrote:
>
>> Manoj Panicker - FOES wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>         Which is the best interface card to connect* PSTN* line with
>>> Asterisk. Can somebody please help. My intention is to route the
>>> incoming PSTN calls to internal IP Phones through Asterisk and Vice
>>> versa. The Asterisk is in LAN and is reachable from all the IP phones
>>> in the LAN.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Manoj
>>>

>> That's a wide open question.  How many lines?  What kind of lines?
>> What country are you in?  What options are availible to you?
>>
>> I only have three incoming lines for a soho Asterisk install.  I
>> decided on a T1 card and picked up a used channel bank on ebay.  Not
>> the cheapest way, but it has served me very well.
>>
>> You are not going to get much help unless you define the problem better.
>>
>> Lyle Giese
>> LCR Computer Services, Inc.
>>

> HI,
>
> OK, I'm going to chime in on this one as I am going to set up an
> Asterisk system for our volunteer ambulance service.  As a part of the
> Emergency Services we need to maintain a POTS line as redundancy and due
> to the fact that with an old style phone I don't need power for the
> phone to work.  I plan on using a SIP provider for the rest of our phone
> needs.  If not for the emergency services part I would go completely SIP
> based.
>
> Anyway I would need a FXO/FXS card for use in the US.  Only one line so
> I don't need any of the fancy 4 line systems.  I have heard you can use
> certain modems to do this but I would like what I am doing to be
> seamless and not require hacking at a problem for hours to save $50.  I
> just want it to work quick and easy.  I am unsure what you mean by "What
> kind of lines?" and "What options are availible to you?".  Maybe that is
> part of asking this question, to get some info about the phone system too.
>
> Any help would be grand.
>
> Thanks
>    Brent

Brent
You have defined what you are going to do, basically a small system and
only need one POTS line.  You could also use an ATA to convert a POTS to
SIP to go into the Asterisk box.  That would probably be a more
supportable solution as those devices don't appear to be disappearing
off the market like that modem solution is.  Then if in a couple of
years, lightening takes out the converter, you have a purchasable solution.

You can also do this with Digium cards.

Lyle