[asterisk-users] Faxing issues

Todd S asterisk at myzionetworks.com
Fri May 22 19:01:37 CDT 2009

We seem to be having a good bit of issues sending faxes and can't pinpoint
the issue.  I'm hoping someone here may have a different outlook on the
issue that leads to a resolution.

Our call path is  Sip trunk from MAX TNT - Asterisk - T1 - Adtran endpoint
converting sip trunk to copper line for house wiring.

Users at the endpoint can receive faxes without a problem.  However, sending
faxes are not so friendly.  1 out of 5 faxes will send successfully.  The
remaing 4 continually fail with the fax machines reporting "Poor Line
Quality".  QoS is setup on both ends and working as expected across all
traffic to and from both sides of the call.  Voice quality is good on
calls from the same lines.  I've checked all sides and had all vendors look
at their equipment and they are all pointing the finger at each other.  I've
got sip traces from both ends and both look good with the exception of
random BYE's being sent from the Adtran side of the call during random fax
calls.  T.38 is enabled on both ends as well.

Anyone have any possible ideas where to look further or an idea of how i
could at least improve the situation?

Thanks.