[asterisk-users] Cheapest price to cuba route !!!

ContactTel Business lists at contacttel.com
Thu May 21 16:13:08 CDT 2009

Here's a little story on all the cheap guys trying to get the best rate on
any route out there ( lcr and others).

Anyone have 0.000001 to Mexico billed 1/1 ?????

"

When customers call us to ask if we sell Cuba termination for 50c/min, I
sometimes joke and tell them "sure, I'll give you Cuba for 1c/min, but it
will have 0% ASR". Or some other times, I tell them: well, why don't you
make your own Cuba route using the following recipe:
- for 10% of the calls, connect them to our white route that is very
expensive
- for 30% of the calls, give connected dead air. People are used to that on
Cuba
- for 30% of the calls, give an endless ringtone, and connect during that
ringtone
- for 30% of the calls, make up some messages in Spanish saying "Hola Hola",
and play them
You would make a lot of money like that!

This is of course meant as a joke, to prove that Cuba only works if you pay
the legal cost to terminate it, like with every country in the world.

Well, it seems that some people have followed part of my advice, as was
reported by one of our customers in Brazil. They reported the following
going on on gray termination routes to Brazil:

The call is answered and a recorded message with woman's voice in Portuguese
is played randomly instead of terminating the call to the cellular network.
The message is about 2-3 minutes long, and saying "Please wait, I'll call
the person; please wait a little longer - he's coming, etc" with the aim of
keeping you on the phone and taking your money.

It is a very sophisticated scam since the message sounds like a real person
- it's like somebody really picked up the phone from the other side! The
message is played randomly and appears once every 4-5 call attempts. You can
get it with the first call or if you call 4-5 times the same number.

The customer learned about this scam about a month ago using a wholesale
termination service called VoiceTrading: http://www.voicetrading.com.

Thank you Ben for reporting this to us!"