[asterisk-users] From 1.4 to 1.6.0

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu May 21 16:06:56 CDT 2009

Gavin Henry wrote:
> Is there any document on the reasons for the 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 branches?
> I remember reading something but can't find it again.
>
> Was it stability versus new features?
>
> I'm currently playing with 1.6.1

The difference is in regards to new features.

Instead of waiting 1-2+ years for new features, there are several branches that
co-exist at the same time. Each time a new branch is created, it receives new
features. Within that branch only bug changes are put in (much like the 1.4 branch).

Hopefully my little ASCII art design will do my explanation some justice.

                             1.6.0.0     1.6.0.1
       1.6.0 branch (bug fixes) --------------->
                    \
                     1.6.1 branch (bug fixes) ------------->