[asterisk-users] Pickup with *8 is not working...

jonas kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Wed May 20 07:49:59 CDT 2009

Hey there list !

I'm receiving negative feedback when people try to pickup another
ringing phone by pressing *8 on there own Grandstream device.

These are my setting that should make pickup possible :

all my sip-clients (Grandstream) have this in their config (sip.conf) :

callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
canreinvite=no
qualify=yes

So they are all in the same pickupgroup...

This the configuration for pickup-exten (features.conf) :

pickupexten = *8                ; Configure the pickup extension.
(default is *8)

So why does phone pickup fails ??

This happens when a call from the PSTN is directed through an IVR-system
to a specific department, like sales. There, the 3 sales-phones ring...
When one of the accounting-people hears this, they want to pickup the
phone by dialing *8.
But this does not work. Remember that all the Grandstream-telephones are
in the same pickup group (1).
Everyone should be able to pickup any ringing telephone...

Thanks for the feedback !
Jonas.