[asterisk-users] Rusting Snoms?

Remco Barendse asterisk at barendse.to
Thu May 14 00:58:34 CDT 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Tim Panton wrote:

> This is a bit off topic, because I 'think' it isn't an Asterisk problem.
> However I'm not sure and anyhow I'm hoping someone may recognize the symptom.
>
> We moved offices a month ago. Our trusty SNOM190s (all between 3 and 5 years
> old)
> were packed up for the move, then unpacked a couple of weeks later.
>
> On unpacking them and connecting them to the new network, several of them
> didn't work well. The symptom is that outgoing RTP audio is garbled - like
> the
> packets are pulsed. Inbound is fine. This isn't true for all of the phones,
> just some of them. (The all run the same SNOM firmware)

I didn't experience these problems, even when not using the phones for
more than a year. The Snom 190s are pretty well built though, unlike
the 360's that are just a piece of crap. Did you check the network
settings, maybe there is still some NAT stuff present in the phones? I
would do a factory reset on the phone and try again.

I bought 30 Snom 360's in 2005, since then 12 of them have been showing
problems, an absolutely unacceptable mortality rate for a business phone.

I had 4 power supplies gone dead, of 4 phones the display went dead
and i had about 7 phones where the receiver hook switch broke off inside
the case (if you open the phone you see that the receiver hook switched is
locked in between to tiny pieces of plastic). The hook switch even broke
in my phone and i am very careful with it, i don't handle it rough...
(i'm not counting the power supplies among broken phones)

So far Snom repaired 2 batches under warranty, one after the
warranty expired, the 3rd batch of 4 phones if waiting to be sent to
them, will wait to see their reply, the fail rate is unacceptable and way
beyond normal.